Tiny Tot Undergoes 65 Life-Saving Surgeries After Swallowing A Deadly Piece Of Hardware

Every new parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle knows that it can be pretty challenging to truly baby-proof your home.

Sometimes, it seems like for every sharp corner safely encased in rubber, there’s another potentially dangerous detail left unchecked, as demonstrated in this chilling video about the risk involved in forgetting to anchor heavy pieces of furniture.

There are also a handful of less visible hazards that are easy to forget about. It’s in the nature of all kids to be curious and explore the world around them, sometimes inadvertently putting themselves in danger along the way.

Unfortunately, for every kid who eats a tiny army man or sticks a jelly bean up a nose and comes out unscathed, there’s another little one who ends up in real danger due to a tiny and easy-to-miss risk.

Now, after a terrifying experience with her youngest child, one mom is campaigning to bring one of these miniscule-but-deadly perils to light, via her website, Emmett’s Fight, and the connected Facebook page.

Please note, some of the following images contain graphic medical content.

1496352_599863133426009_145840982_o-600x4191

Today, Karla Rauch is the proud mother of two bright and bouncing kids, Ethan, 7, (right) and Emmett, 5 (left).

But just four years ago, Karla and her husband Michael were on the brink of losing Emmett, after the then-1-year-old tot swallowed a tiny lithium button battery.

imgres1

The battery, a tiny round object roughly the size and shape of a nickel like the object pictured above, had fallen out of the back of the remote control for the family’s DVD player.

This tiny mishap turned out to be the first step in a terrifying string of events…

201619_115363795209281_2752111_o-600x9001

Little Emmett, who had just celebrated his first birthday, found the battery and swallowed it.

His parents didn’t catch him in the act, but they noticed immediately when he became lethargic, out-of-sorts, and feverish.

SAMSUNG

Concerned, they took him to the doctor, where they were told it was just a cold, and that Emmett would be fine.

A few days later, when Emmett started coughing blood, the doctor thought it was a simple case of the croup, but followed a gut instinct, and instructed them to rush to the ER.

Emmett-and-Battery

There, a team of emergency room staffers found the button battery on an x-ray, and realized that the acid from the tiny object had drastically damaged the little boy’s esophagus and digestive tract.

1075481_509417519137238_281257268_o-600x450

Thankfully, Emmett is a fighter. He somehow pulled through, despite the severity of his injuries, and the brave little tyke went on to fight his way through 65 surgeries over the course of four years.

1509097_813654035380250_6703377901276167330_n-600x450

Now, he’s a happy little boy of five, who can finally breathe on his own, play soccer, eat some real food, and speak thanks to artificial vocal cords.

But parents Karla and Michael don’t take his recovery lightly.

They know how lucky they are, and have made it a mission to tell as many parents as possible about the dangers of button batteries through their activism and website.

If there’s a little one like Emmett in your life, please SHARE this article to spread the word about the dangers of button batteries!

Comments

Close
Please support the site
Please Like us for daily updates