You can always count on the good ‘ol internet to provide ideas for cheap, easy and delicious treats, and this one is perfect to celebrate the New Year. Here’s a recipe for Rainbow Flower Cookies that look lovely gathered into a “bouquet” on a plate.
YouTube user and creative cook Yoyomax12 offers up the recipe’s ingredients and directions, as follows:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1- 3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Paste food coloring (desired colors)
- Colored sugars
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until creamy. Add powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough into six portions. Place each portion into separate bowls. Tint the portions different colors using paste food coloring. Knead each dough gently until it is uniformly tinted. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill dough about 30 minutes.
- Take a portion of dough and roll between your hands into a ball shape that is about 1.5 inches in diameter.
- Roll the dough ball in its corresponding color of sugar.
- Using a pair of clean scissors snip the dough ball in half, going about 3/4 of the way through the ball, leaving the two pieces attached at the bottom. Cut through ball again, 90 degrees from the first cut, so you have four pieces of equal size.
- Cut each of these four pieces in half to get 8 equal sized petals. Very gently separate the petal slightly.
- Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment or silicone mat and bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes until cookies are set and firm to the touch and bottoms are just the lightest bit brown. The colour of the cookie won’t change much.
- Allow to cool completely and then attach a candy to the center of the flower with some chocolate or frosting.
Yummy, and beautiful! Please SHARE this recipe with your friends on Facebook!